Saturday, February 2, 2013

Supernatural is Back!

Okay, I know this happened a few days ago but I don't care.  I've had this time to bask in the glow of knowing my boys are back!
 You regular TV Tourists - and those who know me personally - know that Supernatural is my favorite show of all time, but that this season I have been wrestling with ... not ... loving it.  Believe me, hard to type, harder to say.  After all, this is the show that can ... could ... do no wrong, never crossed any lines, never jumped any sharks and kept me cringing year after year waiting, hoping for renewal, living in fear of cancellation.

Series creator Erik Kripke had a five-year plan for the show, and it played out marvelously.  Then writer/producer Sera Gamble took over for I guess what fans have called two rocky, weaker seasons.  Still, I stayed loyal and defended the show to the hilt.

Relieved to have the show renewed once again for an amazing eighth season - and a move to Wednesdays from the dreaded Friday night where it resided - and actually thrived (for the CW, anyway).  A long summer wait and the premiere was finally here.  We had been left with Dean (Jensen Ackles) in Purgatory, Sam (Jared Padalecki) topside and totally alone.  I knew a reunion was set within the premiere and I waited with baited breath.

It came.

I watched.

And wasn't elated.  I couldn't believe it.  And as the season went on, I found I wasn't aching for each new ep, I began picking apart plot points, not loving the stories taking place.  Most of all, I missed the brotherly relationship.  Oh, they had divided them time and time again, but I never felt the separation more than I did this season.

I realize this may be out of context for many of you, but trust me, the show was not on par with the one I have loved from day one.

But after the winter break, things changed.  The last few episodes - including a hilarious reappearance by guest star Felicia Day (she appeared in season 7) - have been great, the pinnacle being "As Time Goes By" which aired Wednesday.  It was reminiscent of seasons past, featured a glorious recap with flashes all the way back to season one, a welcome return of patriarch John's (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) hunter journal, and a  revived mythology that kind of lost its way but now sits poised to take us all on a thrilling new path (can't say much more because I have friends/fans that haven't caught up yet).
 Trust me, peeps, when I say, Supernatural is back, and I couldn't be happier!!  May I say to new showrunner (and past writer) Jeremy Carver:  keep it up!

"Smell you later, bitches!' - Felicia Day's character Charlie in "LARP and the Real Girl."

Supernatural airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on the CW.

No comments:

Post a Comment