Thursday, May 16, 2013

Fall Season 2013 - My Thoughts


Overall, I'm happy with the Fall 2013 program landscape.  Most of my shows are returning and most have landed in time slots - either the same ones or in new ones - that present no current conflict.

I always wish I could be a fly in the wall in the rooms where the net execs make their big decisions.  I just picture the big bulletin board with all the index cards with the new and returning shows on them and the piecing together of each night.  What shows go together, what shows can act as lead-ins to the newbies, etc.  It's a job I don't envy and yet would like to give a shot.

Anyways ...


The CW is bringing Supernatural back to the time slot where it started it all:  9 p.m. on Tuesdays.  I am perfectly okay with this, because it makes Tuesdays AWESOME - Joss Whedon's Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is on at 8 p,m, on ABC and there are no other current conflicts for me.  This will allow me to check out Seth Green's new sitcom Dads on FOX at 8 p.m. and maybe do some catch up in the other free time.


This is my one very big disappointment:  CBS is banishing Hawaii Five-0 - which is going into its fourth season - out of its Monday @ 10 p.m. home to Fridays at 9 p.m.  We all know Friday is where shows pretty much go to die (with exception to The X-Files years ago and more recently Supernatural, which lived on the night for two season before being delivered onto Wednesdays).  So I can only hope that some new drama (no offense to them) doesn't live long and CBS frees this terrific, action-packed show from programming purgatory.  The CW's Nikita will remain on Fridays but is not returning till mid-season for its final 6 episodes (thanks to this network for consistently giving their shows a chance to wrap up and end instead of flat out pulling them - Smallville, 90210 ...).  And Shark Tank will not conflict at 9 p.m., since I have the record-two-programs-at once DVR  But who knows ... maybe H50 will do well on its new night, out of ABC hit Castle's path.


 ABC's Castle is another favorite of mine and is staying put Mondays at 10 p.m.  So Mondays for me stay cool, with CBS' How I Met Your Mother still at 8 p.m. and 2 Broke Girls at 9 p.m.  I'll have the chance to check out FOX's Sleepy Hollow at 9 p.m. Nothing else really interests me at 8 p.m., since I'm very over ABC's Dancing With the Stars.  But I do watch The Bachelor (yeah, I know, shut up), so when that returns later in the season, I'll have it non-conflicting.


As I predicted, Arrow is going to act as lead-in for the similar genre show The Tomorrow People, starring Arrow star Stephen Amell's cousin Robbie Amell.  This new superhero-esque drama about young adults discovering their abilities as the next stage of evolution (think X-Men) should be a nice fit for Arrow, which had a terrific and successful freshman season.  TTP also hails from good pedigree, being co-created by The Vampire Diaries' Julie Plec and Arrow's own Greg Berlanti.



While I had expected the CW to use The Vampire Diaries (Thursdays at 8 p.m.) to give a lead-in boost to its spinoff The Originals, its instead going to help launch new regal drama Reign - about young Mary, Queen of Scots' rise to power - at 9 p.m.  The show TVD helped launch last year, Beauty and the Beast, is moving to Mondays at 9 p.m.  The Originals will be the lead-in to Supernatural on Tuesdays at 8 p.m.  A nice pairing, I think.


No changes to my Sunday night:  Once Upon a Time and Revenge stay where they are on ABC at 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. respectively.  New drama Betrayal at 10 p.m. seems like a good fit to Revenge, but ABC had not been able to keep a drama here for long (666 Park Avenue, Red Widow), so we'll see.

 

Aside from Supernatural's move, my Wednesday stays in tact, with Survivor at 8 p.m. on CBS followed by Criminal Minds at 9 p.m.  And no conflict in the latter hoir will allow me to check out the aforementioned The Tomorrow People.


Granted, NOTHING is set in stone.  There will be the inevitable cancellations and time-slot shifts as the Fall season moves ahead.  But right now, save H50's move, I'm a happy watcher.

Come back here throughout the summer for all the interim TV goodness I'll be covering, then join me in September for my reviews of the new shows, coverage of the Paley Center's Fall TV Preview Parties and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment