Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Review - Super Fun Night


Oh dear.

Um ...

Wow.  This show is not super.  It's not fun.  It's probably the saddest show I've seen in a long time ... and I saw the premiere of Dads.

Normally I'd give you a quick lowdown of the show, but since I want to forget I've even seen it, I'm gonna pass.

It's a shame, too.  I like Rebel Wilson.  I root for the shows that dare to feature women physically outside the Hollywood norm (Mike and Molly, Drop Dead Diva).  But this one doesn't capitalize on what Wilson does well - bold, boisterous comedy.  I'm not saying she has to be pigeon-holed into that role (Melissa McCarthy hasn't been), but does she have to be turned into a pathetic, insecure wallflower whose dialogue is riddled with long bits of nonsensical noises when she has nothing to say?  She deserves more than to be saddled with tired plot points, like being bullied by a hot mean woman, constantly wanting food (seriously, there were three nods to junk food in a one-minute period) and obvious physical antics (watching her fight to get into spanks was so painful) that worked for I Love Lucy but here seem forced and ... sad.

Can't get past the fact that ABC opted to premiere the show tonight with not the original pilot but with the actual second episode.  Makes you wonder just what was so bad in that first ep that the net opted to bypass it completely.

Wilson can't quite pull off the American accent they have her doing and I'm not even sure why they've made her American (she's Australian) - they have foreign characters (British) in her workplace.  And I guess she's playing a lawyer?  Wasn't really listening to be honest.  Wilson just looked so uncomfortable and sad.

That's the only word I can really use to describe this program - sad.  Here's to Wilson's quick freedom from this wreck so she can move on to better projects.

BOTTOM LINE:  No.  Just, no.

Super Fun Night airs Wednesdays at 9:30 p.m. on ABC.

No comments:

Post a Comment